Tuesday 23 March 2010

MacGyver kid

So yesterday I was rushing out to office and half way to the bus stand I remembered that I hadn't checked to see whether there were any traces of my jam sandwich around my mouth. A surreptitious check with my tongue told me this was a distinct possibility. Fortunately, I was able to whip out a mirror and tissues in the bus and look 'respectable' again.

The incident reminded me of when I was 11 or 12 years old and hooked on the TV programme, MacGyver. Like a lot of kids my age back then I was fascinated by how 'Mac' could get out of trouble (or into it as the case may be!) using any old thing he found lying around, from a paper map to chocolate. I remember asking my grandmother to make me a satchel out of some leftover upholstery material (because of course since I had a perfectly good school bag my parents didn't see why I should be bought another bag). Into this satchel went everything I could possibly think of that would come in useful.

pencil and note paper - for writing clues in case I was kidnapped
string - for all sorts of reasons
a compass - for obvious reasons
sticky tape - couldn't get my hands on duct tape in those days
candle and matches - in case i found a cave to explore
torch - in case the cave was windy and the candle blew out
chalk - to mark the walls of a labyrinth in case I was lost in one
mirror - to signal with if I found myself adrift at sea
measuring tape - because my mum had several of these to spare
Swiss army knife - a treasured birthday present
paper clips, pins, safety pins, an airline sewing kit, a scissor...
Well you get the picture.
I am woefully unprepared for adventure these days. All I carry with me now are the mirror, the pencil and the pen knife. I suppose a true MacGyver kid wouldn't need much more than that...

1 comment: